Buyer's Remorse is Relative

The past couple of months I've spent my Saturdays doing house work--painting, drilling, organizing, cleaning. And of course buying--cabinet knobs, area rugs, candles, and all the other little things that make this place a home.

This is the first weekend we haven't had something we *have* to do.  Granted, we spent two hours Friday night painting the ceiling, but getting it done left today wide open. I decided to commit to self-maintenance for the day, so I went and got a mani/pedi and a brow wax, and bought myself some new underwear, and a pair of earrings.

I immediately felt guilty about the earrings because I didn't really need them. I just wanted them. The underwear were essential, for the record.

It occured to me that I sometimes forget I am a woman (in the emoional sense, the physical reminds me every day), and with that comes the right to spoil myself from time to time. It also occured to me that I have not purchased myself clothing since last July...nor a bag, shoes or other girlie item. I spent $80 on myself today, and feel like I've spent the money that should be feeding my unborn children.

Tonight, we'll spend $200 on a hotel room in the city (this is what happens when you live in the country and want to go to Atlanta) and probably another $200 on food and drinks, and I won't think twice about it.

It's all relative. When I buy something just for me, I feel terribly guilty and wasteful. When I buy something for someone else or the "greater good", I feel great. Why can't I be like those women who throw down $2,000 for a designer bag and not care? Me? I buy a refrigerator.

I did go through a period where I bought myself whatever I wanted for awhile. A closet full of Coach and really cute clothes that are now too small for me is what I have to show for it. I suppose once I had it, I didn't want it anymore and jersey knit, fleece and an all purpose Kate Spade nylon bag became staples of my wardrobe.

On the other hand, that refrigerator is still kickin'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On the Record

Thankful I Suppose

Home...Alone