Creativity Has Left the Building

Inspiration visits less frequently when busy. It doesn't like to be put in a box. These past few weeks I've been so focused on getting it done that I seem to have lost my desire for what if and why. There's a lot rolling around in my head, and no one idea can seem to make it's way out.

In all fairness there's a lot going on in my head these days, and with it also being swollen from the ceiling fan accident a few months ago (dumbest. fucking. thing. I. ever. did.) it's hard to make sense of anything other than checks in boxes.

Which I'm really good at doing. Checks in boxes, that is. Take for example, last night. I got home after a full day of making lines through tasks to find my boyfriend down and out and sickly. Well, seeing as our plans to design costumes were shot, I decided to clean the house (all of it), do the laundry (all of it) and prepare a homemade Pumpkin and Roasted Butternut Squash soup.  And I did pilates while the floors dried.

Yesterday was probably the most productive day I've ever had. Period.

But my inspiration suffers during these times of GSD -- that's get shit done.

Blogging becomes a time-permitting hobby because I can't seem to come up with witty observations about the 900 million things going on around me. Case in point, I'm writing about not having the inspiration to blog. Creativity? Let's see, I was going to dress us up as an angel and a devil for an opposites Halloween party we're supposed to be going to today. This, coming from the girl who dressed us up as Brittany and Kevin, complete with kids, two years ago. You get my point.

But there may be light at the end of the tunnel. The soup last night and my ability to blog this morning, are both signs that I might be coming back to the person I prefer.  The soup being much better than this post -- it was deeeeeeelicious. If it's a fluke, January isn't too far away.

Pumpkin and Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2-3 cloves of garlic
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of white pepper
1 can (15 oz) pure pumpkin
3 1/4 - 3 1/2 cups of chicken broth (depending on how thick you like your soup)
1/2 of a large butternut squash
1/2 cup heavy cream
Sprinkle of nutmeg and/or parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Peel and dice the butternut squash into 2 inch cubes -- roast on a baking sheet for 30 minutes
While the squash is roasting, melt the butter in a large saucepan or stock pot
Add the onion, cook for 3-4 minutes
Add the garlic, cook for another 1-2 minutes
Add the brown sugar, salt and pepper and toss to coat, ensuring the sugar dissolves -- cook for 1 minute.
Slowly add the chicken broth
Add the pumpkin, stir until dissolved and bring to a boil
Reduce heat to low, and cook for 15-20 minutes.

When finished roasting, blend the butternut squash in a food processor or blender until mostly smooth (it will be a little stringy and chunky)
Add the squash to the saucepan with other ingredients, cook for another 5 minutes.
Swirl in the cream.

Transfer the contents of the saucepan to a food processor or blender, and blend until smooth and thickened (in batches if necessary). After combining, return contents to saucepan and serve immediately or keep warm, allowing flavors to further combine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thankful I Suppose

Dislike

Vacation Day 2: I Think this Post is Actually About Food